Subject: real uphill struggle with 3.0 install -- now no syslog
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/30/2006 19:07:10
Seems like one problem after another getting NetBSD3.0 to run properly.

Went to restart syslogd after making an entry in /etc/syslog.conf only
to find that it wasn't running.  It's not starting up at boot for some
reason, despite "syslogd=YES" in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

So I look closely at the bootup messages only to see that there are
a BUNCH of problems (below).  I really have no idea when they started;
from the outset as far as I know.
Adding interface aliases:
Building databases...
dev_mkdb: not found
install: not found
install: not found
eval: /usr/sbin/wsconscfg: not found
eval: /usr/sbin/wsconscfg: not found
eval: /usr/sbin/wsconscfg: not found

Once the machine is booted and I login all those programs (dev_mkdb,
install, /usr/sbin/wsconscfg) are there!  Is /usr not getting mounted
in time?  Why would that be.  Also in /etc/defaults/rc.conf there is
`` "critical_filesystems_remote="/usr" ''.

I've been meaning to ask about this one, too.  From the very beginning
of the install, whenever I turn off the machine I get the message: "You
have write permissions turned off.  No reply possible."  That doesn't
sound very healthy either.

Suggestions welcome.  (I'd really like to move on and leave this 1.6
machine behind.)

TIA

--
henry nelson