Subject: Re: how to blank or turn off console
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/29/2006 10:15:05
On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 05:00:22PM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > The kernel configuration -- based on GENERIC -- has all the apm and acpi
> > commented out.
> >
> > I guess that might explain it.
>
> My problem was that when I closed my laptop lid using GENERIC based
> kernel, the laptop would turn off.
>
> I enabled all the acpi options in my kernel config and now dmesg says many
> things about it (including some "not configured").

Quicky:  When you enable all the acpi options, should you then disable all
(only one?) the apm options?

>   acpilid0 at acpi0 (PNP0C0D): ACPI Lid Switch
>
> I can close my laptop and it does not power off. The kernel says:

I've been wanting to do this, too.  Thanks so much for keeping the
progress reports on the list.

> I assume this would also be a problem with GENERIC_LAPTOP since it also
> has acpilid commented out.
>
> Why are these commented out?

I can understand the acpi options being commented out since some brands
(Thinkpads? Compaq?) have had some real problems from reading posts on
i386.  Just in the last week or so there were patches to current.  However,
I don't see why apm is turned off in GENERIC_LAPTOP.  It hit me by surprise
when I tried to soft power off, "shutdown -p", but it didn't.

> Does anyone have /etc/powerd/scripts/ examples for "lid_switch"?

TIA here, too.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/