Subject: Re: how to blank or turn off console
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/28/2006 17:00:22
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> The kernel configuration -- based on GENERIC -- has all the apm and acpi
> commented out.
>
> I guess that might explain it.

My problem was that when I closed my laptop lid using GENERIC based
kernel, the laptop would turn off.

I enabled all the acpi options in my kernel config and now dmesg says many
things about it (including some "not configured").

But my problem is now solved:

  acpilid0 at acpi0 (PNP0C0D): ACPI Lid Switch

I can close my laptop and it does not power off. The kernel says:

  acpilid0: lid closed.

I assume this would also be a problem with GENERIC_LAPTOP since it also
has acpilid commented out.

Why are these commented out?

I found some docs in the powerd manpage.

Does anyone have /etc/powerd/scripts/ examples for "lid_switch"?

 Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. I am giving another presentation about BSD tomorrow. So I wanted my
laptop to work with NetBSD :)