Subject: Re: how to blank or turn off console
To: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/27/2006 14:46:32
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Jukka Salmi wrote:

> Jeremy C. Reed --> netbsd-help (2006-01-28 18:00:12 -0800):
> > I am running NetBSD i386 current (as of a few days ago).
> >
> > I have a GQ (Great Quality) MX-3201 laptop. My video is:
> >
> > vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: VIA Technologies VT8623 (Apollo CLE266) VGA
> > Controller (rev. 0x03)
> > wsdisplay0 at vga1 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> > wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
> >
> > How can I power down this display? (I am not using X11.)
> >
> > I tried screenblank(1), but I have no frame buffer devices.
> >
> > When I close my lid most of the way, the system powers off. But with
> > FreeBSD, it did not power off (at least that is what I wrote down months
> > ago). Why would the system turn off when running NetBSD?
>
> Are you running a kernel with apm(4) or acpi(4)? What do you mean with
> "powers off"? A suspend you can resume from, or a system halt?

I don't think it suspends. If it is I don't know how to re-enable. The
power light turns off.

dmesg doesn't tell me about apm or acpi.

The kernel configuration -- based on GENERIC -- has all the apm and acpi
commented out.

I guess that might explain it.

Why are these commented out?

And where is the user-friendly documentation on this for NetBSD?

> BTW: I'm running NetBSD/i386 on a IBM ThinkPad X40; there's a BIOS
> option which lets me choose whether the system should go into suspend
> mode or not when the lid is closed. This seems to work only when running
> an APM kernel; with an ACPI kernel, all power management options set
> in the BIOS are ignored.

I didn't look at the BIOS options yet.

But as it is now, it works correctly with FreeBSD. Closing the lid allows
it keep on running.

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8@I;C5?@H5B0D@5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'