Subject: Re: wireless access point scanning in netbsd
To: Henry S <coo.hen@gmail.com>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/25/2006 17:27:15
--oj4kGyHlBMXGt3Le

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 04:05:55PM +0000, Henry S wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm using 3.99.16 with ral driver kernel. How should I go about scanning =
for
> access point ?=20

My ral0 on 3.99.18 i386 box this worked.

ifconfig ral0 up
sleep 3
wiconfig ral0 -d
wlanctl ral0
=20
> I tried installing kismet but ./configure says it only supports pcap sour=
ce.

Yeah, it takes much effort to get it to work currently.

> Someone on irc pointed out wiconfig and wpa_supplicant so I tried
> "wiconfig ral0 -D", but it couldn't find any APs.

That's been my experience with -current, it won't display, but it seems
to actually do the scan.

> I am still figuring out how wpa_supplicant works. Any other pointers ?=20
=20
> Could I also use tcpdump -y IEEE... to scan for access points ?=20

No.  I don't think it does radiotap anyway.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--oj4kGyHlBMXGt3Le

--oj4kGyHlBMXGt3Le--