Subject: Re: why doesn't NetBSD ship with md5sum or sha1sum?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Henry Nelson <netb@yuba.kcn.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/21/2006 17:31:36
On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 03:33:21PM +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> Jeremy C. Reed --> netbsd-help (2006-04-19 15:04:08 -0700):
> > On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > Those are the coreutils names.
> >
> > In the BSD world use:
> >
> > md5
> > or
> > sha1
>
> I wonder why the BSD checksum tools don't offer an option similar
> to the `-c <file>' option the coreutils tools have to check files

Thanks everyone for setting me straight, and for the many insights.
It saved me a few hours of frustrating ftp'ing back and forth.

Since coreutils was mentioned a couple of times in this thread I
wonder if I can repost the following on netbsd-help (not a single
reply from netbsd-users):

  || GNU coreutils-5.2.1 failed to build on 3.0.0_STABLE.  It compiled
  || flawlessly on 1.6.1.
  || The errors started with:
  ||   mountlist.c: In function `fstype_to_string':
  ||   mountlist.c:187: error: case label does not reduce to an integer
  ||                                                           constant
  || and continued on with many errors until hitting:
  ||   mountlist.c:395: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
  ||   mountlist.c:396: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
  ||   gmake[3]: *** [mountlist.o] Error 1

Any hints on how to compile coreutils on 3.0.0_STABLE much appreciated.

--
henry nelson
  WWW_HOME=http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/~home/