Subject: X_CreateWindow, BadValue (integer out of range for operation)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Blair Sadewitz <sadewitz@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/20/2006 14:01:58
I am running Xorg from pkgsrc (both 2006-Q1 and current give me this
problem) on amd64 with an ATI X800 card.  The display is technically
fine:  I can display a root window without any problem.  However, all
X applications crash with this error:

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for op=
erati
on)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Value in failed request:  0x20
  Serial number of failed request:  35

Thus, the window manager dies and then X dies.  X is not usable,
obviously.  I cannot find out what this means nor what to do about it,
but I would hate to have to dump NetBSD because of this problem.  I am
very impressed with its performance and really want to keep using it.

Again, the display itself is fine; the problem I doubt is with my
xorg.conf or hardware.  This is something with X itself.  Please help
me!

Thanks a lot,

--Blair

--
"What is the practical application of a million galaxies?"

--Alan W. Watts