Subject: Re: small network and soekris
To: Mats <unix@comhem.se>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/19/2006 10:12:43
--Ll0BBk1HBk/f94B0

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:43:54AM +0200, Mats wrote:
> Hello
> I'm setting up a soho-network and for the moment I have a soekris
> net4801 box as a firewall. It's OpenBSD in it now but I want to
> change to NetBSD. OpenBSD is installed on a compact flashcard, 64
> meg. I used flashdist to install it and I wonder if someone have
> tried to use flashdist with NetBSD? I think that the differens
> are so small that it might work?=20
> Another option for me is to install NetBSD on my 1gig flashcard,
> that space must be enough. In that case I will try a diskless
>  installation. I have seen some file called NET4501 or similar in
> /usr/src/(script for kernels) that is ment for soekris, maybe that will b=
e a good
> choice?=20

I don't know about flashdist, but here's my -2-0 net4501:

# df -h
Filesystem    Size     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a      87M      45M       38M    53%    /
mfs:58        7.5M     293K      6.8M     4%    /var

Not really making anything specific to get it small, I compile it with
all the possible MKXXX=3Dno, and I think I leave out some binaries in the
end.  It's been running fine for almost a year, completely read-only,
without even sshd running, only console access.

--=20

--Ll0BBk1HBk/f94B0

--Ll0BBk1HBk/f94B0--