Subject: Re: local system time and /etc/localtime
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Aleksey Cheusov <cheusov@tut.by>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/09/2006 23:44:41
> In rc.conf:

> # cope with other OSes using the real time clock at localtime on this
> # machine (by adjusting kern.rtc_offset at boot)
> rtclocaltime=NO

> (as found in /etc/defaults/rc.conf)
This doesn't work as expected.
I still have +3 hours.

0 ~>sysctl kern.rtc_offset
kern.rtc_offset = 0

0 ~>ls -la /etc/localtime
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  32 Apr  9 16:05 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Minsk

0 ~>

I know I can link /etc/localtime to GMT os something in order to
set shift to 0 hours, but in this case /bin/date
will show me that I have a GMT time. It is bad effect I think.
As far as I understand setting kern.rtc_offset to -180 will not correct time
PERMANENTLY.

I'd prefer the mode where /etc/localtime is set correctly
(for /bin/date output),
but with no real shift is made. Is it possible in NetBSD?

--
Best regards, Aleksey Cheusov.