Subject: Re: Questions about mk.conf
To: Eye of the Beholder <eye.of.the.8eholder@gmail.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/23/2006 09:21:25
(Hopefully someone else will answer your build.sh questions.)

> I compile xorg and it gets installed in /usr/pkg/xorg
> I have read in pkgsrc/mk/defaults/mk.conf that X11BASE says where X is
> installed and is also the default path for X11 packages. My problem is
> that no package gets installed in /usr/pkg/xorg. I have disabled as you
> see USE_XPKGWEDGE and i thought that it will work but for example xterm
> is installed in /usr/pkg.

The xpkgwedge is used to get things to not install in the X11 tree. But it
is not used by all packages -- only for those using xmkmf. I see if it off
that it should set your X11PREFIX to your X11BASE.

Maybe because you set it with ?= instead of =, it was already set to YES
in some cases.

Do you have the xpdgwedge package installed? Do you have a
/usr/pkg/lib/X11/config/xpkgwedge.def or
/usr/pkg/xorg/lib/X11/config/xpkgwedge.def file on your system?

> If i use the USE_X11BASE that i have commented all packages get
> installed in the xorg path which isn't wanted either.

USE_X11BASE should not be set by the user (by you). It is a package
specific setting to only be set per a package's own Makefile.

> a) Is there any way to say that some packages (e.g
> xterm,Xrandr,Xrender,Xaw3d,etc) get installed in /usr/pkg/xorg ? not all
> of them though.

A couple years ago, I spent a lot of time customizing my own pkgsrc to
force all X-related packages to install in my X11BASE. But I realized that
was not needed for me, so I stopped doing that.

As for Xrandr, Xrender, Xaw3d ... I am using the official maintained X.org
versions of libXrandr, libXrender, libXaw (and others) on a few of my
systems and plan to commit to pkgsrc next month. They do not install to
X11BASE at all.

As for Xaw3d, it seems like it should install to X11BASE in your case of
not using xpkgwedge.

By the way, you may want to use the pkgsrc-users list for your pkgsrc
discussions.

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo ':6DB6=88>?;@69876tA=AC8BB5tA6487><' | tr '4-F' 'wu rofIn.lkigemca'