Subject: Re: startx works, xdm doesn't
To: David Rhodus <drhodus@machdep.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/22/2006 11:36:11
> > However, if I put 'xdm=yes' in /etc/rc.conf, I cannot login using the
> > chooser, change to a text console or do anything involving keyboard
> > input. X, the chooser, and xconsole start fine and the mouse pointer
> > works, but the keyboard does not accept any input and in fact I cannot
> > even do things like turn the caps lock on/off.

> I see similar problems on DragonFlyBSD using pkgsrc xorg.

I had this same problem. I think it is caused because xdm is starting up
on wrong console. (And device was owned by wrong user I saw.) To fix the
problem under Linux using pkgsrc Xorg's xdm, my xdm/Xservers configuration
has:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

 Jeremy C. Reed

echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8@I;C5?@H5B0D@5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'