Subject: startx works, xdm doesn't
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/22/2006 12:35:10
Hi,

I am having a problem with starting X as part of the boot sequence.
Using 'startx' from the console works fine with no observable problems.
However, if I put 'xdm=yes' in /etc/rc.conf, I cannot login using the
chooser, change to a text console or do anything involving keyboard
input. X, the chooser, and xconsole start fine and the mouse pointer
works, but the keyboard does not accept any input and in fact I cannot
even do things like turn the caps lock on/off.

The /var/log/Xfree86.0.log file seems identical to the log produced
when using startx (examined after resetting the machine) and
/var/log/xdm.log just shows the top of this log and no obvious errors.
I am using NetBSD 2.0 for now. Any ideas on what is wrong?