Subject: Re: strange tab printing problem
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/22/2006 18:31:40
Johnny Billquist --> netbsd-help (2006-03-22 00:35:17 +0100):
> Jukka Salmi wrote:
[...]
> >stty(1) prints `-oxtabs' unless I am logged in with ssh or telnet, in
> >which case it prints `oxtabs'... That probably explains the problem.
>
> Well, that is definitely your problem.
> oxtab decides wether the terminal driver should expand tabs to spaces on
> output. Your (physical) terminal either don't do tabs at all, or it
> don't wrap if you try tabbing at the rightmost part of the screen.
> Converting it to spaces, however, results in the correct number of
> spaces for getting to the next tabstop being output. And your terminal
> can handle spaces. :-)

Thanks for the explanation.

Removing the `ht' capability from the `Pc' class in /etc/gettytab seems
to fix the problem for my wscons(4) consoles; but what can be done to
also fix it for xterms (besides issuing `stty oxtabs' every time an
exterm is launched...)?

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: