Subject: Re: strange tab printing problem
To: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/22/2006 00:35:17
Jukka Salmi wrote:
> Answering the two replies:
>
> $ echo $TERM
> xterm
>
> $ stty size
> 24 80
> ... but this doesn't matter, I can reproduce the problem with any
> column count I tried so far.

Well, if those are the same in both instances, they can't really be the
problem. And it was a comparision I was thinking about, not just the
plain values for one of them (don't help much when I don't even know for
which situation you were giving the values... ;-) )

> stty(1) prints `-oxtabs' unless I am logged in with ssh or telnet, in
> which case it prints `oxtabs'... That probably explains the problem.

Well, that is definitely your problem.
oxtab decides wether the terminal driver should expand tabs to spaces on
output. Your (physical) terminal either don't do tabs at all, or it
don't wrap if you try tabbing at the rightmost part of the screen.
Converting it to spaces, however, results in the correct number of
spaces for getting to the next tabstop being output. And your terminal
can handle spaces. :-)

	Johnny