Subject: Re: Firing Eclipse
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/17/2006 16:35:22
Hello,

Bogdan Mihalcea --> netbsd-help (2006-03-17 17:03:19 +0200):
> It seems that Eclipse needs  sun-jdk15 instead of sun-jdk14.  I thought
> of sun-jdk14, because under FreeBSD Eclipse needs java-1.4, and will not
> work with java-1.5.

I haven't tried 1.4 - if that doesn't work you should probably send a
PR.

> I have modified my ~/.profile  file, and it now points to

> PATH=${PATH}:/usr/pkg/java/sun-1.5/bin:/usr/pkg/java/sun-1.4/bin
> export PATH

I can't imagine how having different java, javac, etc. version in your
PATH could be useful...

> JAVA_HOME=/usr/pkg/java/sun-1.5/
> export JAVA_HOME
> CLASSPATH=${JAVA_HOME}/lib/:./
> export CLASSPATH

IIUC you don't need to set these variables to run eclipse.

> After this, Eclipse started with no problems. Before that, not even
> plain java worked.

Sounds as if you should definitely send a PR...

> Thank you very much for the feed-back. I'm trying to focus (shift) from
> FreeBSD to NetBSD.  I work  as a research scientist in physics and I
> need part of the mathematics and CAD ports which exist in FreeBSD. I
> managed to install Mathematica which was a piece of cake, didn't succeed
> with Maple.
> Did you install the java-tutorial port from FreeBSD under NetBSD?

No.

> I'll try to.

Good luck!

Regards, Jukka