Subject: Re: shell question...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/31/2006 17:19:32
Chuck Swiger --> netbsd-help (2006-01-31 10:53:15 -0500):
> Jukka Salmi wrote:
> [ ... ]
> > 	[1] 6980
> >
> > I guess it's the shell who prints these strings, isn't it? If yes, is
> > there a way to suppress this output?
>
> Yes, it is the shell that produces that output.
>
> You can suppress the output by having the process disassociate itself from the
> shell's process group and tty.  Most daemons will do so automaticly (see "man 3
> daemon", "man 8 daemon"), and some shells have a "disown" primitive which will
> disown a backgrounded task.

I see. Hmm, the program I want to run in the background is itself a
shell script, and the shell doesn't seem to have such a disown
primitive.

Is it possible to do something like daemon(3) in shell? I tried with
putting

	cd /
	exec <&-
	exec >&-
	exec 2>&-

to the top of my script, but this seems not to be enough...

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette:
$ ((RANDOM%6)) || rm -rf ~