Subject: Re: Missing device nodes
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/30/2006 15:10:46
> Notice sd5 in the list there.
>
> With the exception of sd0 (which contains the NetBSD installation), the
> other disks are all formatted with one large ext2 partition.
>
> I can happily do disklabel sd1-4 and mount_ext2fs sdXe /diskX to mount
> the disks and use them just fine.
>
> My problem is that no device nodes are created for sd5 and even if I
> try to manually create them with mknod, I get "Device not configured"
> when trying to mount.

You can use the MAKEDEV script in /dev to create the extra device files.
In this case:

  cd /dev && sh MAKEDEV sd5

will create the files for your 6th disk.  I'm not sure why it doesn't work
when you create ths files manually.  The i386 GENERIC kernel config (which
is included by GENERIC.MP) has:

  sd*     at scsibus? target ? lun ?      # SCSI disk drives

so it should be able to handle this (I'm not sure what the limit is - I
have a sparc64 with 14 disks which worked perfectly once I ran MAKEDEV).

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/