Subject: Re: how to blank or turn off console
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd@2006.salmi.ch>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/29/2006 15:10:56
Jeremy C. Reed --> netbsd-help (2006-01-28 18:00:12 -0800):
> I am running NetBSD i386 current (as of a few days ago).
>
> I have a GQ (Great Quality) MX-3201 laptop. My video is:
>
> vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: VIA Technologies VT8623 (Apollo CLE266) VGA
> Controller (rev. 0x03)
> wsdisplay0 at vga1 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
>
> How can I power down this display? (I am not using X11.)
>
> I tried screenblank(1), but I have no frame buffer devices.
>
> When I close my lid most of the way, the system powers off. But with
> FreeBSD, it did not power off (at least that is what I wrote down months
> ago). Why would the system turn off when running NetBSD?

Are you running a kernel with apm(4) or acpi(4)? What do you mean with
"powers off"? A suspend you can resume from, or a system halt?

BTW: I'm running NetBSD/i386 on a IBM ThinkPad X40; there's a BIOS
option which lets me choose whether the system should go into suspend
mode or not when the lid is closed. This seems to work only when running
an APM kernel; with an ACPI kernel, all power management options set
in the BIOS are ignored.

Regards, Jukka

--
bashian roulette: