Subject: Re: X headers missing
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Bogdan Mihalcea <bmihal@rdslink.ro>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/27/2006 17:06:51
david aubril wrote:
>    Hi everyone.
>    I installed Netbsd 3.0 without any X11 stuff, because I wanted to
> start with Xorg.
>    I installed xorg ( in meta-pkgs, pkgsrc-2005Q4 ), but X won't
> start. "startx" and "xorgcfg" won't work, I have to write
> "/usr/pkg/xorg/bin/xorgcfg" to config Xorg, and
> "/usr/pkg/xorg/bin/startx" doesn't work; it doesn't start anything but
> gives the message:
>         /xauth: not found /
>         /xinit: not found/
>    I then tried to install x11-links ( in misc, pkgsrc-2005Q4 ), but I
> get the message:
>         /x11-links requires X headers to be installed./
>    After looking about "install X hearders" in google, it seems that
> severals users have had the same problem, but I didn't see the
> solution anywhere.
>    What should I do ?

Try a
$xorgconfig
for start?

It should need no path specified. The same stands for startx. Normally,
xorgconfig enables you to start an X-Window session. Which window
manager do you use? Try WindowMaker for start. And  another hint, the
root directory and the user directory should contain an .xinitrc file,
which you will find in /usr/X11 /lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc. Edit and tweak
.xinitrc.
For WMaker add the line wmaker &
For KDE add the line startkde
for GNOME add the gnome-session line