Subject: Re: graphic card for NetBSD
To: Luc Desfosses <desfosses.luc@wanadoo.fr>
From: Colin Hyatt Bortner <cbortner@mail.rochester.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/23/2006 16:50:35
I don't think NetBSD is the best platform for 3d work.  Every open 3d
driver I know of depends on DRI, which (AFAIK) NetBSD lacks.  nVidia's
binary (closed) drivers only support Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris.
Fortunately, (at least under Linux) nVidia's drivers compare quite
favourably with their Windows counterparts. ATi has no official support
for FreeBSD.

So, if 3d would "make or break" your BSD experience, I'd recommend
FreeBSD over NetBSD.  If you just do 2d illustration, like me (a la gimp,
inkscape) then NetBSD should serve you quite well.

Cheers,

Colin