Subject: Re: GENERIC won't config?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/23/2006 21:37:56
Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> > I see.  I didn't realize config(8) was mated to the sources or would
> > change in a way that wasn't backwards compatible.  I thought it was
> > more like a compiler.  I also didn't know pkgsrc would update it.
> > Thank you for the information.
>
> No, pkgsrc should not update it.
>
> You have said that you have updated yourself:
>
> "I might have updated the toolchain for pkgsrc reasons since then..."

I'm sorry to have been vague; I fear I wasted your time.  I was referring
to the message one gets occasionally with pkgsrc to the effect that its
tools need to be updated.

> You must have updated your kernel source to 3.0 or -current without
> realizing it. Just download the _true_ 2.0 sources (or whatever you want
> to compile) and I think everything will be fine even without using
> build.sh.

I believe that's the case.  I thought I could fetch the sources by ftp and
then use CVS to update them.  Well, I *can*, of course, but I have to
provide the appropriate tags to the cvs command. I thought the extracted
tree contained tag information.

Many thanks for your kind help.  It's not my binaries that are out of
whack, it's me and my source tree.  Easy enough to rectify, once
diagnosed.

--jkl