Subject: Re: kscd won't do digital audio
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/23/2006 11:21:03
> Is this something we can fix, and/or is there some other program I can
> use to play CDs by reading the digital data directly (short of
> explicitly ripping the CD and feeding the files to audioplay)?

Not sure about fixing kscd, but you should be able to play CD's with:

  cdda2wav -D /dev/cd0d -H -q - | audioplay -f -

(/dev/cd0c on some architectures).  cdda2wav is in the sysutils/cdrecord
package (sysutils/cdrtools in -current pkgsrc).  You can also specify a
-t argument for the tracks you want to play, e.g. -t 4+5.

I also tried cdparanoia, but it wasn't as good for this (occasional skips).

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/