Subject: how to start mlnet-Daemon with custom "openfiles" limit?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Feddersen <thomas.feddersen@t-online.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/23/2006 12:11:13
MLdonkey needs more than the default number (64) of open files. Versions=
  =

of mldonkey prior to 2.7.2. would after a few minutes of running, start =
 =

sending error messages to logfile about no more open files, and then shu=
t  =

down. Since Ver. 2.7.2 the minimum ulimit for open files is 150, MLDonke=
y  =

will refuse to start if ulimit is lower.

As a workaround I could off course increase the limit via the shell  =

command and then invoke the startscript

> limit openfiles 1024 (for bash users "ulimit -n 1024")
> /etc/rc.d/mldonkey start

to let the mlnet-Daemon inherit the settings of the shell-process.

I would like to have mlnet automatically started at system-startup. What=
  =

is the proper way, within the framework of the NetBSD /etc/rc.d startup =
 =

scripts, to start the mlnet-Daemon with more than just 64 maximum open  =

files?  That default is way too low.

Thanks for any help with those problems.

-- Feddo
Hamburg GER