Subject: Re: GENERIC won't config?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/23/2006 01:59:09
--Enx9fNJ0XV5HaWRu

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 01:38:38PM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
> Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > Use a config(1) program that match the kernel sources.  That question
> > has been asked so many times now...
> >=20
> > Please use build.sh when you don't know very precisely what you are
> > doing.
>=20
> I see.  I didn't realize config(8) was mated to the sources or would
> change in a way that wasn't backwards compatible.  I thought it was more
> like a compiler.  I also didn't know pkgsrc would update it.  Thank you
> for the information. =20
>=20
> FWIW, I followed the kernel documentation:
>=20
> 	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kernel
>=20
> which told me to ftp the kernel sources and specifies config(8).  It
> doesn't mention build.sh and doesn't provide it.   IIRC that's what I did.
>  I didn't expect pkgsrc to change things from under me.  I expected the
> pkgsrc toolchain not to disturb my base system, apart from adding things
> to /var and /etc. =20

build.sh is not needed if sources mathc your kernel.  This is NOT the case
here, you're trying to build either -current or a 3.0 tree otherwise you
wouldn't have references to pf.

build.sh is documented in the "traking -current" chapter.  What is said
there applies starting with 2.0.

--=20

--Enx9fNJ0XV5HaWRu

--Enx9fNJ0XV5HaWRu--