Subject: Re: GENERIC won't config?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/2006 22:10:58
On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 01:38:38PM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
> Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > Use a config(1) program that match the kernel sources.  That question
> > has been asked so many times now...
> >
> > Please use build.sh when you don't know very precisely what you are
> > doing.
>
> I see.  I didn't realize config(8) was mated to the sources or would
> change in a way that wasn't backwards compatible.  I thought it was more
> like a compiler.  I also didn't know pkgsrc would update it.  Thank you
> for the information.

No, pkgsrc should not update it.

You have said that you have updated yourself:

"I might have updated the toolchain for pkgsrc reasons since then..."

> FWIW, I followed the kernel documentation:
>
> 	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kernel
>
> which told me to ftp the kernel sources and specifies config(8).  It
> doesn't mention build.sh and doesn't provide it.   IIRC that's what I did.
>  I didn't expect pkgsrc to change things from under me.  I expected the
> pkgsrc toolchain not to disturb my base system, apart from adding things
> to /var and /etc.

This expectation is (should be) correct. BTW what you mean by the "pkgsrc
toolchain"?

> I infer from other messages on this list that building the kernel nowadays
> requires more than just the kernel sources, and I see (if I understand

Building the kernel _always_ required a matching version of the config(8)
tool (at least).

I think your problem must be something different. Especially since you
mentinoned pf in your error messages and you told that you were trying to
build a 2.0 kernel on a 2.0 box, but there was no pf in 2.0 kernel...

You must have updated your kernel source to 3.0 or -current without
realizing it. Just download the _true_ 2.0 sources (or whatever you want
to compile) and I think everything will be fine even without using
build.sh.

Pavel Cahyna