Subject: Re: GENERIC won't config?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/2006 13:38:38
Quentin Garnier wrote:
> Use a config(1) program that match the kernel sources.  That question
> has been asked so many times now...
>
> Please use build.sh when you don't know very precisely what you are
> doing.

I see.  I didn't realize config(8) was mated to the sources or would
change in a way that wasn't backwards compatible.  I thought it was more
like a compiler.  I also didn't know pkgsrc would update it.  Thank you
for the information.

FWIW, I followed the kernel documentation:

	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kernel

which told me to ftp the kernel sources and specifies config(8).  It
doesn't mention build.sh and doesn't provide it.   IIRC that's what I did.
 I didn't expect pkgsrc to change things from under me.  I expected the
pkgsrc toolchain not to disturb my base system, apart from adding things
to /var and /etc.

I infer from other messages on this list that building the kernel nowadays
requires more than just the kernel sources, and I see (if I understand
correctly) that the 2.0 system I thought I was running has been permuted.
I would like to revert, but I'm guessing I can't: I need either a "modern"
toolchain to build packages, or a 2.0 one to build the kernel.  Or I can
pull down more of the source tree and tools via CVS to build the kernel,
disregard the published documentation, and hope for the best.  :-(

Am I missing something?  Is there a simple, clearly documented procedure
to rebuild a 2.0 kernel on a 2.0 system with current packages?

I appreciate the help.  I don't know very much about what I'm doing.
That's why I stick to releases and try to trod well trodden paths.

Regards,

--jkl