Subject: Login problem after upgrade to 3.0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Zmudzinski <brchuck@hotmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/19/2006 15:31:36
I upgraded from 2.0.2 to 3.0 using build.sh install=/ from the DESTDIR
of a build of 3.0 on the 2.0.2 system I was upgrading. But I forgot to
install a 3.0 kernel before running build.sh install=/ (I admit this
problem is probably my fault, but I am seeking help in fixing it). The
build.sh install=/ failed to complete successfully, althought it seems
to have succesfully installed all the new sets. I think the build.sh
install=/ failed when trying to remove files from /tmp. I could not
login or run very many commands (as expected) after the failed install
because I was trying to run 3.0 userland with a 2.0.2 kernel.
Fortunately I was able to reboot a new 3.0 kernel.

The system came up fine but when I tried to login to the console, I got
the following error:

login: in openpam_configure(): No required or binary component in
service login, facilty auth
login: pam_start failed: system error
login: pam_start failed

I don't remember what kind of password encrytion I was using, but it was
done locally with a master.passwd file in /etc.

The network initiated OK and I tried to ftp to the new system, and on
the console ftpd reported the same error messages when trying to login
via ftp from another computer on the network.

What do I have to do to fix this? I can make rescue floppies if I have
to, but have no idea what to do to fix this particular problem. Is there
a way to run the build.sh script from a rescue floppy or installation
CD?  Perhaps then I could try and rerun the build.sh install=/ command
again and get the installation done correctly? Or is the easiest
solution to use a recue floppy to grab my critical data and do a fresh
install of 3.0?

TIA,

Chuck Zmudzinski