Subject: Re: [3.0 i386] ipfilter?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sylvain Briole <sbriole.mls@free.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/18/2006 11:45:05
Hi Manuel,

>> I am trying to use ipfilter on NetBSD 3.0 i386 (I have already successfully
>> installed and tested it on NetBSD 2.0.2 i386).
>>
>> # sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
>> net.inet.ip.forwarding: 0 -> 1
>>
>> # cat /etc/ipf.conf
>> pass in  quick on lo0 all
>> pass out quick on lo0 all
>>
>> # /etc/rc.d/ipfilter stop
>> Disabling ipfilter.
>> open device: Device not configured
>> SIOCFRENB: Bad file descriptor
>
> Did you do an install or an upgrade ? If upgrade, make sure you don't have old
> binaires lying around, and run
> cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV all

I have done an install, but I have understood : I have forgotten to say : I do
not boot with the "standard" GENERIC kernel!
I thought that the NetBSD Install ISO CD-ROM provided the standard GENERIC
kernel, but it is another kernel!
Since my computer can not directly boot on the big hard disk drive (40 GB)
because of the BIOS, I use the NetBSD Install ISO CD-ROM to boot and then use
the "boot -a" at the prompt.

I am sorry for all the inconveniences!

Thanks,

Sylvain.