Subject: SL/PPP pseudo devices missing from 3.0/i386
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Lee Terry <inkfeed@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/17/2006 20:58:09
Hi,

I am trying to make a SLIP connection between two
NetBSD/i386 machines. One of them has 2.0.2 and
everything works perfect. ifconfig -a shows me the slX
and pppX devices and i can do a slattach.

The problem is on the other 3.0 box, where ifconfig -a
just shows me lo0. I have tried this with the
GENERIC_INSTALL, GENERIC and GENERIC_LAPTOP kernels on
three different machines. None of them see the slX
devices. I have also checked the config files from the
kernel source, and the serial line pseudo device seems
to be enabled. I have also recompiled the kernel to no
avail. Are there any magic options, that i do not know
about, which have to be enabled in 3.0 for the SLIP to
work?

dmesg tells me that the serial ports are there, I can
also connect with minicom to a router console, so this
shouldn't be a issue related to the com ports not
being enabled, right? Because they are.

Also, I would like to mention that i tried booting the
three machines off 2.0.2 and 2.1 CDs, and the slX
devices are there and i could slattach and configure
SLIP. So this problem *only* appears in 3.0.

I would not want to go back to 2.x on this box,
because i spent quite some time tweaking and setting
things up, and it is the only 3.0 i have, and for the
moment a SLIP connection is the single option for it
to be online.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.