Subject: Re: netbsd wlan ap
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nov=E1k_=C1ron?= <aaron@szentimre.hu>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/16/2006 21:41:18
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 06:21:59PM +0100, Novák Áron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I decided to use my netbsd nat box as a wireless access point.
> I found a howto in this topic:
> https://www.unixcircle.com/features/802.11b_netbsd.php
> This guide is tested with NetBSD 1.6ZG.
>
> Do I need to recompile the kernel to make an access point if I use the
> 3.0 version of netbsd?

No, if the driver is present in the kernel.

> Were can I found a recent list about what type of cards/chipsets can act
> as an access point?

Prism 2.5 (wi driver) should work. ath works, (I tested it only in
-current).

But beware, the wi driver deteriorated, and it seems it has more bugs than
in 2.0, see e.g. PR 31433. In general, I would not recommend using NetBSD
for a wireless AP if you expect reliability.

Pavel Cahyna