Subject: XFree86 version question
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <jonesd@xmission.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/2006 14:07:38
I recently upgraded to NetBSD 3.0.  According to the NetBSD website,
this version of NetBSD uses XFree86 4.5.  However, I noticed the
following in my /var/log/xdm.log file (cleared before copying the
following, so this is data from my boot less than an hour ago):

XFree86 Version 3.3.6a / X Window System
Release Date: November 30 2000
	If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
	than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
	problems.  (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: NetBSD/i386 1.5.2 [ELF] The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.

As a sanity check, I used uname to verify that I am running NetBSD 3.0.

I'm curious as to what is going on here.

Dominic Jones