Subject: Re: raidframe on sparc64
To: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/2006 23:41:55
On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 04:56:06PM +0100, Thierry Lacoste wrote:
> I think I have made some progress but I still have two questions.
>
> > After a fresh install of 3.0/sparc64 on an ultra1 I'm having
> > problems configuring a RAID-1 root disk as described in
> > chapter 15 of the NetBSD guide.
> > It appears that I'm unable to configure a swap area because
> > of cylinder boundaries.
> [...]
> > According to the guide I have to make
> > offset of raid0b + RF_PROTECTED_SECTORS = offset of swap within wd1
> > but my geometries won't allow that.
> Is this safe to make
> offset of swap within wd1 >= offset of raid0b + RF_PROTECTED_SECTORS
> so that a kernel dump won't erase filesystem data?
>
> The wd1 disk on the guide has 1008 sectors/cylinder.
> But when it is relabeled (15.3.7. Setting up kernel dumps)
> the swap area is at offset 19015807 which is not at a cylinder boundary.

Is it really a problem ? The NetBSD kernel shouldn't take care of cylinder
boundaries. Only the sparc's openfirmware may, but as long as you don't
want to boot from this partition it should not be an issue.

Other than that, it's not a problem to have your dump partition start
at a larger sector than raid0b + RF_PROTECTED_SECTORS. Just don't forget
to adjust its size so that it's still inside raid0b

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>