Subject: Re: From NetBSD 2.0.2 to 3.0 on an Intel D865PERL box with 4GB RAM.
To: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/02/2006 07:26:40
--------------enig81332D75F7D1ACAC475C7B99

Gan Uesli Starling wrote:
> The file "LAST_MINUTE" in my ISO of NetBSD 3.0 warns as follows:
>

> >        The only reliable workaround currently known for this problem
> >        is to increase the amount of virtual space available to the
> >        kernel by adding these lines to the kernel config file:
> >
> >        options KERNBASE_LOCORE=3D"0x80000000"
> >        makeoptions TEXTADDR=3D"0x80100000"
>
> My questions are twofold:
>
> My i386 box has 4GB. So the above applies to me. Sounds like that means=

> I'll have to compile from source instead of just do the binary install.=

> Is that correct?

You only need to recompile the kernel, not the entire system.  Plus, the
problem does not appear right away, so you _should_ have no trouble
recompiling your kernel while running one without the workaround.  Or,
you can use build.sh to build yourself one before upgrading.

> Or might I be best advised to patiently await some future version of
> NetBSD 3.0.X wherein the above might be patched?

A fix is being worked on, but there is no ETA yet.  You're the only one
who can answer that for yourself.  :)  Building a kernel is not
extremely difficult, but if you don't feel like you can handle it, you
should probably wait.

+j