Subject: Re: upgrading NetBSD, step order
To: Brian <asemisldkfj@fastmail.fm>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/01/2006 14:17:48
--vGgW1X5XWziG23Ko

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 06:34:40PM -0500, Brian wrote:
  | so over at bsdnexus forums, we're having a discussion about the proper
  | order of the steps used to update an existing NetBSD system.
  |=20
  | http://forums.bsdnexus.com/viewtopic.php?id=3D678
  |=20
  | WIntellect claims that you should build tools, build distribution, build
  | and install kernel, reboot, and install the userland.
  |=20
  | as I've always understood it, you're supposed to build and install a new
  | kernel before doing anything else, e.g. build tools, build and install
  | kernel, reboot, build distribution, install the userland.

 non-root% ./build.sh -U distribution sets kernel=3Dfoo releasekernel=3Dfoo

 install kernel
 reboot to single user
 extract sets
 run:  postinstall -s /path/to/etc.tgz fix
 reboot

IMNSHO this is the safest way to upgrade, because with build.sh
we've separated the ``build the OS'' operation from the
``install the OS''.  Infact, you can do the build.sh on a separate
system and just transfer the appropriate kernel & sets to
each target machine as required.

(I also build sourcesets and store the contents of ${RELEASEDIR}
on a (bootable) CD-ROM.)

--vGgW1X5XWziG23Ko

--vGgW1X5XWziG23Ko--