Subject: Re: Intel Xeon EM64T Processor and correct port
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/30/2005 16:13:30
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:14:38 -0700
Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/30/05, Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com> wrote:
> >processors so the amd64 should work on your system. That said, unless
> you have a >compelling reason to do so, the i386 port works fine too,
> and at _present_, some things are >still easier to do with the i386
> port, e.g. java and linux emulation.
>
> I agree to an extent.
>
> I have an amd64 box, and while I'm the coolest guy on my block by far
> for running an actual 64 bit OS on 64 bit hardware (heh), the
> flexibility of i386 would be useful. Some stuff I'd like to use
> doesn't build, etc.
>
> Andy

Me too. My desktop box is running a dual core cpu w/ amd64-current. It's just missing too many things to switch my servers over just yet, although it's getting better pretty quickly.

I've been exclusively buying 64bit hardware for the last 4 months, even though I continue to run the i386 port on all my production systems.

HW