Subject: Re: No signal on wi0?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/30/2005 08:32:38
On 12/29/05, James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org> wrote:
> Andy Ruhl wrote:
> > First question: If your mac box can see your neighbor's network, is
> > your NetBSD box in the same proximity so that it should be able to see
> > as well? If so, wiconfig -D can at least show if it can see anything.
>
> Yes, it's just across the living room.  Here's that output.  Not sure how
> to interpret it, except that "forest" is mine:
>
> $ sudo wiconfig wi0 -D
> scanning ...
> AP Information
> ap[0]:
>         netname (SSID):                 [ forest ]
>         BSSID:                          [ 00:30:65:15:ea:0a ]
>         Channel:                        [ 3 ]
>         Quality/Signal/Noise [signal]:  [ 0 / 46 / 0 ]
>                                 [dBm]:  [ 0 / -103 / -149 ]
>         BSS Beacon Interval [msec]:     [ 0 ]
>         Capinfo:                        [ ]

I'm pretty sure what you just did is the equivalent of pinging the IP
of a local adapter. It still doesn't prove that it's talking on the
"wire". If you have another access point (like your neighbors) that
you can see with another machine, you should be able to see it here.

I'd de-configure the card, and not try to configure it at all during
boot time and then run wiconfig -D and see what happens. You should
see your neighbor's stuff. If not, I'm pretty sure that card is
broken.

Andy