Subject: Re: Installboot might be the answer?
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Mark Thomas <thomas.s.mark@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/30/2005 05:02:26
On 12/20/05, David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 07:41:03PM -0500, Mark Thomas wrote:
> >
> > Drive configuration;
> > wd0 NetBSD
> > wd1 NTFS file system without OS, this is the drive that will get NT.
>
> You should be able to install NT on wd1 - you need to do it as wd1 so tha=
> its equivalent of /etc/fstab (and maybe even the boot code) is correct.
>
> Then you'll need:
> 1) a standard mbr (that boots the active partition) on wd1.
>    NT might leave that there for you...
> 2) The netbsd mbr_bootsel code on wd0 [1], with a menu entry for netbsd.
>    Type F2 to boot the second disk - and hence NT.
>
> If, as someone else suggested the NT install craps over the mbr of wd0,
> then you may need to find a netbsd install CD....

Thank you David, Martin

I didn't quite understand what you guys were trying to tell me so I
swapped the drives around, wd0 is now wd1 and vice versa. I got NT
installed fine but of course NetBSD won't boot since it's now on wd1.
I thought I could use the install CD to fix the problem but I'm at a
loss on how to do it. I can get into single user mode fine by booting
net with my boot manager GAG. But once there I haven't a clue what to
do next. Can I wipe out the boot code and simply use my boot manager
or am I screwed.

--
 _
( ) Mark Thomas     ASCII ribbon campaign