Subject: Re: No signal on wi0?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/30/2005 01:08:56
Andy Ruhl wrote:
> First question: If your mac box can see your neighbor's network, is
> your NetBSD box in the same proximity so that it should be able to see
> as well? If so, wiconfig -D can at least show if it can see anything.

Yes, it's just across the living room.  Here's that output.  Not sure how
to interpret it, except that "forest" is mine:

$ sudo wiconfig wi0 -D
scanning ...
AP Information
ap[0]:
        netname (SSID):                 [ forest ]
        BSSID:                          [ 00:30:65:15:ea:0a ]
        Channel:                        [ 3 ]
        Quality/Signal/Noise [signal]:  [ 0 / 46 / 0 ]
                                [dBm]:  [ 0 / -103 / -149 ]
        BSS Beacon Interval [msec]:     [ 0 ]
        Capinfo:                        [ ]

> Maybe I missed this, but are you sure the adapter in the NetBSD box
> works in another box? I hate to ask those types of questions of
> someone who's been around the block :)

I know what you mean.  I don't have much experience with these newfangled
wireless carriers, though.

It *did* work once.  It's in a Soekris box, and since it was last in use I
replaced the mainboard.  Are the wiconfig outputs consistent with either
a) a busted adapter or b) an adapater that isn't tight in its socket?  I
have to take the thing apart to check, which is fine if I'm likely looking
at a hardware problem.  :-)  I don't have another machine to test it in.

Thanks for the help, Andy.

--jkl