Subject: Re: pppd on dial up really slow update
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Rick McCombs <rick.mccombs@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/29/2005 13:11:00
On 29 Dec 2005 09:00:45 -0500, Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com> wrote:
> I also use ppp, on current from September with a USR sportster 33.6
> external, dialing the same kind of modem on another NetBSD machine.
> Throughput/speed seems to be fine, limited by the modem.
>
> I do have another problem, which is that when the line goes down (due
> to modem hangup - this is a nailed-up connection), pppd notes this,
> unconfigures the interface, and then hangs in a wedged state where it
> doesn't exit, or worse, do the redial commanded by persist.
> But I think this is unrelated to performance issues.
I got past the problem I was having but

I discoved the same problem, that persist doesn't work.  My ISP
disconnect me after 8 hours no matter what.
(I would change but my dad is paying for it and they are about the
cheapest. It used to be my mother's account and she died and my dad
has kept paying it so I could sell stuff.)

I had persist in my options and was having it buld some stuff in
pkgsrc and after the modem disconnected it didn't ever reconnect and
there was several pppd processes.