Subject: Re: pppd on dial up really slow update
To: Rick McCombs <rick.mccombs@gmail.com>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@intostroy.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/28/2005 10:25:26
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 20:53:27 -0600
Rick McCombs <rick.mccombs@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tryed using the isp's dns and stoping named so there wouldn't be all
> of that dns traffic, and started to ftp a file from ftp.netbsd.org and
> the fastest throughput I saw was 0.8 K and usually it was around 0.76
> K and stopped it

Hi!

What a speed was achieved under Slackware? Well, using NetBSD pppd will
not guaranteed that you will have hi-speed connectivity with NetBSD.org
site ;-) Please try to use the closest ftp/www servers to test your
connectivity. Your ISP should be good here.

Also, you may wish to run "pppstats -w 1" to see real-time ppp
statistics. A traceroute(8) and ping(8) utilities might be also helpful
to find narrowings.

> I just reallized the message I sent with the setup files didn't go to
> the list so I sent it a little while ago
> I did change the line
> 115200
> speed 115200

Just "115200" should be enough.