Subject: upgrading NetBSD, step order
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian <asemisldkfj@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/26/2005 18:34:40
so over at bsdnexus forums, we're having a discussion about the proper
order of the steps used to update an existing NetBSD system.

http://forums.bsdnexus.com/viewtopic.php?id=678

WIntellect claims that you should build tools, build distribution, build
and install kernel, reboot, and install the userland.

as I've always understood it, you're supposed to build and install a new
kernel before doing anything else, e.g. build tools, build and install
kernel, reboot, build distribution, install the userland.

while both ways have always worked perfectly fine for me, and are only
minutely different, to me it seems like a waste of time to run
./build.sh distribution before booting and testing a newly compiled
kernel.  WIntellect however, told me that when you run ./build.sh tools,
it uses your currently installed kernel as a reference, and if you built
the distribution after installing a new kernel, the tools would be out
of sync with the new kernel and could cause problems.

so my question is, should you run ./build.sh distribution before or
after building and installing a new kernel?  and where could I find more
info about building the tools?  there wasn't very much about it in
/usr/src/BUILDING.

TIA for your help!

-Brian