Subject: Re: more information on NIC errors
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/06/2005 12:04:17
Thus Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> spake on Mon, 5 Dec 2005
22:24:10 +0100:

> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 02:32:39PM +0100, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > after changing our colocation (and thus being connected to another
> > network) i see massive problems on the NIC that didn't occur before.
> >
> > 'netstat -i -I fxp0' shows me
> >
> > 16656239 248631  1259930     2     0
> > (Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs Colls)
> >
> > in the colo before i was connected to (our own) Nortel 450-24T, now
> > flapping MACs show up at the router's IP address, which are either
> >
> > 0050FC -> edimax technology co., ltd.
> >
> > or
> >
> > 0040F4 -> Cameo Communications, Inc.
> >
> > however, i'd really like to see more information on the input and
> > output errors from the host itself (i don't have managing access to
> > switches/routers there) -- how can i get more information?
>
> Did you check speed/duplex setting ? A duplex mismatch could explain
> the errors.
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
>      NetBSD: 26 ans d'experience feront toujours la difference
> --

hi manuel, hi list,

this is not due to a speed/duplex setting issue; as i learned they do
play around with some routing stuff to implement a new backbone while
staying in production.

this shows up as 'flapping' MAC addresses (two different ones) on the
IP of my gateway -- thus the errors, i /think/...?

regards,

timo