Subject: Re: Java (especially JDK) and running Tomcat on NetBSD
To: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@riscworks.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/2005 16:43:49
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Timo Schoeler wrote:

> has anybody installed Java in order to run some Tomcat/Apache stuff on
> NetBSD?
>
> to make it simple, i already chose i386 for this, but after installing
>
> sun-jre14-2.9       Sun's Java(tm) 2 Runtime Environment 1.4.2
> sun-jdk14-2.9       Sun's Java(tm) 2 SDK, Standard Edition 1.4.2
> jakarta-tomcat5-5.0.30nb1 The Apache Project's Java Servlet 2.4 and JSP
> 2.0 server
>
> (besides other packages, of course) i'm not able to start tomcat:
>
> deneb# /etc/rc.d/tomcat5 start
> Starting tomcat.
> The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined
> This environment variable is needed to run this program
>
> the weird thing is that although the Java SDK (JDK) is installed i'm not
> able to find something that looks like this on the machine...?

 	Have several production tomcat servers under sun-jre15 (previously
 	sun-jre14) on NetBSD boxes.

 	Try setting JAVA_HOME to /usr/pkg/java/sun-1.4

 	For reference, 'pkg_info -L sun-jre14' will list all the paths
 	in sun-jre14.

 	I also have pkg_alternatives installed which gives me a java
 	in /usr/pkg/bin/java