Subject: Re: PPPOE Problem
To: netbsd-help@netbsd.org, Chuck Zmudzinski <frchuck@netscape.com>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/11/2005 17:57:30
--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 06:25:49PM -0500, Chuck Zmudzinski wrote:
~~~~~~
> I set up the link following the instructions in the man pages for=20
> setting up DSL via pppOE, without setting the default route for the=20
> reasons that will be clear below.

~~~~~~

> Why can I ping the peer ip address but not the local ip address?

I've seen some tunnel type interfaces act like this and haven't had it caus=
e a problem.

> Also, when I set the default route to be 10.1.17.1 (the peer), I am not=
=20
> able to ping either the the peer or the local address, and ping gives no=
=20
> output at all, not even the 'ping: sendto: No route to host' message.
>=20
> What is wrong?

How are you setting up the interface? I setup mine like this:

# cat /etc/ifconfig.pppoe0
create
!pppoectl -e tlp0 $int
!pppoectl $int myauthproto=3Dchap myauthname=3Duser@example.com myauthsecre=
t=3DXXXXX
inet 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff
!sleep 10
!route add default -iface my.local.ip.address
up

	Jonathan Kollasch

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50

--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50--