Subject: Re: The correct way to use gcc from pkgsrc?
To: None <john@johnrshannon.com>
From: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/07/2005 13:23:28
On 11/7/05, John R. Shannon <john@johnrshannon.com> wrote:
> Andy Ruhl wrote:

> >>insert a line saying:
> >>
> >>GCC_REQD=3D3.4
> >>
> >>into /etc/mk.conf
> >

> > Ok, modifying the path seems to have helped.
> >
> > Something strange happened though. This problem was found when
> > building postgresql80 on my cobalt.
> >
> > When the package got done installing, I noticed that it says it
> > required gcc34, but it didn't fail in the beginning because of this,
> > and I didn't know this, I just upgraded thinking it was worth a try.
> >

> I'm not sure that I understand what your saying. Fo you have gcc34
> installed on your system?

Sorry, I'll explain.

Originally I desired to install postgresql80 from pkgsrc on my
3.0_BETA cobalt qube2.

So I did make package, and after some time it failed with "internal
compiler error". The client part built, but the server part did not.

I know there have been some gcc enhancements and fixes recently, so I
decided to install gcc34 from pkgsrc and try that before I open any
pr's.

So I did that, and postgresql80 built successfully. However, at the
end of the build where it registers dependencies, gcc34 was listed.
I'm thinking I should have failed on that dependency to start with
instead of building with the built in gcc 3.3.3 compiler?

Anyway, it installed. Now I get to see if it works.

Andy