Subject: help tracking CVS
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/30/2005 13:41:33
I am trying to track the NetBSD CVS repository by periodically
importing it locally into my own.

I have a script to handle the checkout from NetBSD and import into my
local repository.  The main relevant command is the following:

      cd $CVSDIR/$ARCHIVE &&
      $CVS -q update -PAd &&
      $CVS -q -d $CVSROOT_LOCAL import -I ! -I CVS \
	   -m "$MESSAGE" $_PROJECT $ARCHIVE $TAG

In a different sandbox I can checkout the files from my local
repository, track the NetBSD changes, maintain my own changes, etc.

This works fine with one exception.  When files are removed from the
NetBSD repository, they of course are neither checked out from there
nor imported into my local repository.  However, when I check out the
head of my local repository they remain.  To some degree I can fix
this by checking out and merging the changes in the vendor branch.
However, I am not entirely facile with this and it doesn't seem to
work entirely correctly.

In my local sandbox (i.e., not one used for the import), I check out
files using various combinations of -j options.  The result is to
schedule most, but not all, of the removed files for removal.  I am
concerned about the cases that are not being scheduled for removal, as
those files will persist in my local repository even though they have
been removed in the NetBSD one.

Trying to track NetBSD in this way must be a common task.  (If not,
please let me know how to do this better.)  I would greatly appreciate
a few tips on how to solve this problem correctly.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,
Brook