Subject: Re: some altq help needed
To: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbert.fernandes@spamcop.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/30/2005 18:53:21
> I have a internal net that is connected via a NetBSD box to the
> internet.
> The NetBSD box has 2 network interfaces. pppoe0 and wm0.
> The IP adress of pppoe0 is dynamic and I use ipnat.
>
> The internal Network is 10.1.0.x
>
> I want to limit the outside network usage of 10.1.0.11 to 800kbit
> (downstream) and 128kbit (upstream
> to the internet)

When you set up ALTQ you have no control of the incoming
date but the trick is by controlling the output, you will
control the input.

You have to configure ALTQ for the interface and create
a root class which will own all the bandwidth.

Then you create two other classes : one that will have
as filter 10.1.0.x and another one that will have the
tag "default" so anyone outside of 10.1.0.x will fell
into that class.

Then you borrow bandwidth from the root class for those
two "child" classes, the default one and the 10.1.0.x

I would suggest a CBQ then (class based queuing)

The man page of ALTQ explains it. Create a CBQ with
one root class and two borrowing child classes.

Email the mailing list if you're stuck :)

--
unzip ; strip ; touch ; grep ; finger ; mount ; fsck ; more ; yes ;
fsck ; umount ; sleep