Subject: Re: cardbus usb not detected
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Lasse Kliemann <lasse-list-netbsd-help-2005@plastictree.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/28/2005 23:11:54
--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

* Manuel Bouyer writes:
> >=20
> > I bought a noname cardbus USB 2.0 card, allegedly equipped with a NEC c=
hip. I=20
> > then activated the following two options in the kernel:
> >=20
> > ehci*   at cardbus? dev ? function ?    # Enhanced Host Controller
> > ohci*   at cardbus? dev ? function ?    # Open Host Controller
> >=20
> > Unfortunately, the device seems to go completely unrecognized in my Del=
l C400=20
> > (see dmesg below).
> >=20
> > [...]
> > But now concerning NetBSD. What could be the reason that the device is =
not=20
> > detected?
>=20
> Maybe it's because of:
> cbb0: secondary bus number uninitialized; try PCIBIOS_BUS_FIXUP
>=20
> did you try PCIBIOS_BUS_FIXUP ? Do other cardbus adapters get detected ?

Oh, I must have overlooked that one, even though I am sure having searched =
for=20
it after having read about this option somewhere. It was late last night wh=
en I=20
tried to get that thing working.

Now, enabling this option (and PCIBIOS as well of course, which I didn't do=
 at=20
first), makes the card being detected. But still no USB device connected to=
 the=20
card worked. There was a message like:

uhub2: device problem, disabling port 2

directly after booting.

Connecting an external power adapter to the card made it work, finally. It =
also=20
suffices to use a powered hub between the card and any USB devices (althoug=
h=20
the 'device problem' messages are back, which I think were gone when I gave=
=20
direct power to the card). There are also messages like that:

ehci0: *** WARNING: opening low/full speed device, this may not work yet.

Still, everything seems to be fine. Even the external harddisk works at abo=
ut=20
11 MB/s, so it cannot be just USB 1.1. (A newfs on that drive was very slow=
,=20
however, and ate up a about 90% of CPU.)

I will put the solution and a complete dmesg on my hardware page

http://plastictree.net/hardware

soon. Thanks for your help!

Lasse

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy