Subject: Re: Install NetBSD 2.0 #prot_to_real can't return to 5B520000
To: Luc Desfosses <luc.desfosses@atosorigin.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/27/2005 18:19:02
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 04:06:13PM +0200, Luc Desfosses wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to install NetBSD 2.0 on a IBM IntelliStation
> Mpro (Only one PIII@500Mhz).
>
> I have this return before the listing of the device:
>
> prot_to_real can't return to 5B520000
>
> I can't find nothing on this error for netbsd.

Looks like a stack overflow to me!
Or maybe even a corrupt program file.

In order to perform BIOS calls (eg to read/write the disk, write to the
console etc) the boot code has to change from running 32bit 'protected'
code to 16bit 'real' code.  The routine that does this must be called
for an address with the first 64k of the 32bit code segment (which isn't
at logical address 0), otherwise it cannot return to the same place.
If it's return address is above 0x10000 then it outputs the message
you have - and I think the address reported is correct!

This can only really happen if the boot code isn't linked properly.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk