Subject: Re: Does 2.1_RC3 support the NetGear GA311?
To: <>
From: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/2005 13:47:36
--------------enigC08C7DDC98901278F32E6B16

Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
>>I couldn't find it in the supported hardware list.
>>I'm hoping it's using some generic chip set that is supported.
>

> 	I believe so, I've found two indications that it's a Realtek 8169S: PR26025,
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-isp/2004/12/msg00166.html. That chip is
> supported by the re(4) driver.

   I'm curious.. I want to buy a PCI SATA controller. I found one where
the "price was right", and asked if it would work with NetBSD, and
someone replied that it would, but that there are problems with it (LBA
bugs).

   So, I continued searching. Now I have found a Maxtor SATA/150
controller, and I want to know if it's supported by NetBSD. So, I
thought I'd find out what chipset it uses, and if that chipset is
supported by NetBSD.

   First problem: Maxtors product information page doesn't even mention
what chips the board uses. Where do I go from here? Are companies
generally helpful giving you these details, or is there some huge
index-page people use to look these things up?

   Sencond problem: Where are the the drivers stored in the source tree?
If I find a chipset, and want to know if NetBSD supports it, where do I
start looking?

Thankful for any pointers.

--
Kind Regards,